Export Practice & Management
Main topics of study:
What an Export Business is All About
- What Does a Business, Any Business, Actually Do?
- What is Management?
- Are There Any Such Things as Management Principles?
- What is Special About an Export Business?
- A Birds-Eye View of What an Export Business Does
- So What is the Point of It All?
Companies & Businesses
- A ‘Business’ or a ‘Company’?
- Types of UK Businesses
- The Significant Characteristics of Incorporated Companies
- National Variations in Financial Reporting
- The Implications of National Variations
How We Measure Our Progress
- ‘It Seems Like a Very Good Idea!’
- Turning a Business Idea into a Business
- What a Financial Management System Does Not Measure
Organising the Information Flows
- Management Information & Control
- Export Activities & Management Records
- Investment in the Market and in the Distributor
- Keeping an Eye on the Profitability
- Keeping an Eye on the Cash
- The Basis of Longer-Term Planning
- The Business as a Machine
Management, the Business & the Finance
- What is a Balance Sheet?
- The Story of a New Exporter
- Bookkeeping Without Any Books
- Some General Points to Consider
- Working Capital
- The Alternative Layout of a Balance Sheet
The Trading & Profit & Loss Account
- The ‘Accounting Period’
- The Link With the Balance Sheet
- The ‘Accruals Concept’ – This is Important!
- Which Figures Do We Include?
- Which ‘Profit’ Figures Should Management be Interested in?
- What About Accounting for Value Added Tax?
- Calculating the Profit (or Loss, as it May Be)
- What Does the Profit & Loss (& The Balance Sheet) Tell Us?
How We Calculate the Profit
- How Do the Financial Figures Reach Your Desk?
- A Matter of Presentation
- But What Happened to the Cash During the Year?
Thinking About Costs
- Why We Need to Think About Costs Before Doing the Sums
- Why Do We Want to Calculate the Costs Anyway?
- Some Costing Definitions
- Costs for Routine Pricing & Management Control
The Problem with Absorption Costing
- Costs for Strategic Planning & For Tactical Pricing
- The Price Reduction Strategy
- The Sales Promotion Increase Strategy
- The Idea of ‘Contribution’ Towards Fixed Costs
- Accounting for the Costs of Fixed Assets
Cash, & How it Flows In & Out
- A Reminder About ‘Working Capital’
- Which is Important, Profits or Cash?
- The Working Capital Cycle
- Keeping a Grip on Cash Flows
- The Cash Flow Statement
- Analysing & Interpreting the Cash Flow Statement
The ‘Why’ & ‘How’ of Cash Flow Forecasting
- Cash or Profit – What’s the Difference?
- Cash, Profits & the ‘Time Value of Money’
- The Essential Features of Cash Flow Forecasting
- A Small Service Company & Its Cash
- The Mill in South East Asia
Cash, Stocks & Working Capital
- A Manufacturing Explosion
- Software & Hardware Bargaining
- The Difference Between Expansion & Just Being Big
- Spreadsheets & Planning
Prices & Costs (& Some Other Things as Well
- A Problem Involving Pricing & Profits
- Break-Even Volumes
- The Break-Even Chart
- Using a Computer Spreadsheet
- Using Simple Algebra to Calculate Break-Even Volumes
- Different Ways of Looking at Contribution
- Developing the Idea of Contribution
- Incorporating a Profit Target
- Several Products & Markets
- Optimising the Volumes & Prices
Coping With the Uncertainties
- What Do We Mean by Uncertainty or Risk?
- Quantifying Probabilities
- The Contract Problem
- The Successful (?) Distributor Problem, Continued
- The Exhibition Stand Problem Re-Visited
- Selecting a Decision Strategy
- Decision Making in the (Uncertain) Management Context
Information Technology & Exporting
- The Place of Technology in a Business
- System Design
- The System Architecture
- The Operational Requirements
- What Do Users Need to Know of the Technology?
- The Hardware & Software Base
- Software Specifically for the Export Office
- Communications & Wide Area Networks
- Telecommunications, WANs, VANs & EDI