Information Technology Applications
This is not available as a Single Subject.
Main Topics of Study:
- Define package, program, application, program and data.
- Benefits and limitations of different data capture methods to the business and to the client.
- Data capture forms (screen and paper). In this case, an awareness that screen is an output device confirming inputs.
- Outputs (printed and screen). Selection of appropriate form of output. Billing layouts.
- Distinction between on-line direct access and batch runs.
- Process diagrams. Systems flowchart or Data flow diagrams could be used but a formal diagram is not expected – the requirements are that candidates are aware of the sequence of events including rectifying errors.
- Back-up systems needed including restart processes where a lengthy print run may fail in mid run because of a printer failure.
B. Applications: Thorough investigation of each of the following applications:
- Mail order and customer accounts
- Stock control
- Supermarket sales
- Library administration
- Public utility companies’ administration
- Hotel administration and bookings
- Banking related to customer accounts.
- Club membership
- Estate agency (real estate) administration.
Such an investigation of each of the above applications should cover the aspects listed below.
- Overall purpose of the application.
- The role of the people involved.
- The detailed format of the sources data for each aspect of the application.
- The method of data capture for each type of input. Devices suitable for this.
- The processes that operate in the business – systems diagrams. Batch or on-line.
- The filing systems required including contents of each file and methods of organisation and access.
- The outputs that are produced.
- The devices required for each type of output.
- How each output will be used and possible follow-ups.